Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Juicy News

After I left class today, I felt frustrated and I couldn't really collect my thoughts. I didn't know how to feel feel towards Juicycampus.com. The first time I saw this website was last week after Asa's presentation and someone mentioned something about Juicycampus.com. I did not think anything of it and I did not bother to look at it. I simply did not have any interest. However, over the weekend, I read about Juicycampus.com and heard people talking about it. So I decided to look at it on Monday. My first reaction was: "wow this is pretty stupid."

I think the website is pretty immature. It is rather lame of people who young adults to go on a website and discuss the topics they do. It's stupid. I began to wonder why HWS did not take any action or this was not a bigger deal in the media. I am pretty positive other college students are aware of this website.

Since I have looked at the website that one time, I probably will not go back on it again. I just rather not see what is being discussed and see what persons names are on it. It is an immature way to make fun of someone, to get under someone's skin and bad mouth a classmate. I think Juicycampus.com is a place where only trouble can arise from. Some students may have stuff on the website that may get them in trouble with work, school or a relationship. Is the information credible though? Who will take it seriously. Regardless, the website is just a stupid and rather pathetic way to voice your opinion.

The class discussion was rather interesting today. I did not know how to say what I wanted at the time, partly because i was toeing the line of what is moral and ethical. Professor Dean stated that if you expose yourself to the site you shouldn't let the posts affect you. I mean I cannot argue against that. That is true. That is why I have decided not to look at it again. I can see the counter-argument too. I just have not articulated the words for it. I guess I am in the middle of that argument. Ah! I really think the cyberbullying is just so immature and sometimes has gone to far, and the best example going is Juicycampus.com.

All in all, I like the direction the class is heading. There should be some interesting class coming up. I feel like this topic is not dead by any means!

Sam

No comments: