Sunday, November 16, 2008

Leisure time: BIG SURPRISE and 1 BIG question

I thought that last class was pretty interesting. Often if you read the book discussion seem pointless because everyone reads the book so what is there to discuss about? But this time we had a good discussion I think. I especially liked the ending. To most people it might seem normal by I am actually still amazed by the way people here spend their leisure time. Now that it is mentioned I see it everywhere.

This weekend I was looking for people to hang out with and everyone was busy, doing something useful. I would actually have to say "useful" because the fact that we can justify it with "it looks good on a CV" does not necessarily mean it is usefull. But still, everyone was busy. It hits me every time: people are WORKING!

The Netherlands is so completely different. There were days last year where I just spend my entire day doing nothing, even spending several days doing nothing. Days where you would spend 6 hours of the day watching movies. Many friends of mine go out 5 times a week until 4am and sleep until 12pm, week in, week out. The only things I can put on my CV are working for 3 weeks during 1 summer at a company that distributes books and a vacation with friends to South Africa where we happened to build an Aids Centre. I would not say that we do not work at all in the Netherlands. I study a lot, but every time I call friends to have lunch they say yes because they can put aside their work for a few moments to do nothing.

This post is not meant to be negative at all. There are so many good things about the system here. I am amazed by the level of discipline people have here. It is hard to find students that study in the weekend in the Netherlands (unless there is an exam the Monday after). In this country you become someone because you worked for it. But still, I couldn't imagine how my life would look if I grew up in the US. I value my "useless" time so much. Just doing stuff with no reason at all. No justification. I would never want to stop doing that. To me, this is the first BIG difference that I encounter between the US en the Netherlands. It only took me 3 months :P.

Another example is vacation. I consider my parents to workaholics. But when I think about it, they have vacation about 7 weeks a year and they still has free days left. I think this is not much at all but apparently it is here.

I can tell you: of all the differences that I expected to find when I would come here for the first time, I never expected leisure time to be one. So I have one BIG question. This is not to be stupid, mean or trying to change anything, I just really want an answer. I really hope someone can explain this to me.

How can people be happy if they are working all the time?

By
Merel van Helden

3 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

i don't know how to answer your question, which i find troubling because i feel like that is something i should be able to answer. the way i see it is people get used to a workaholic mentality...they forget what it's like to have leisure time. BEcause over time they forget about it, the desire for it disappears (or atleast it isn't a big deal)...in other words,they don't realize what they are missing out on.

Maybe working all the time is an unavoidable fate for some Americans? I think people can work a lot and still be happy...they just have to find a balance. My advice to them: Don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

-adrienne

Tesekkür ederim said...

That's a great question to ask, and I've never really thought about it before. I would have to agree with Adrienne's answer and say that I'm guessing a lot of people don't even realize what they are missing. If they never experienced all the free time that you do, they would never even think it was a possibility for them as well.

Apparently I'm living in the wrong country because pretty much everything you said in your blog sounds like a great time. All that free time is right up my alley.

-Mike

BG said...

Merel provides an excellent analysis of how her leisure time is utilized in the Netherlands compared to people here. There is a striking difference which stems from a cultural divide. Not just apparent with free time, but with vacation time given to employees. The definition of a workaholic is varied and perceived in different ways. The question of happiness? There are obviously people who do not live happy lives, but I believe the majority in our culture are still able to fulfill a sense of happiness.