Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Arghh Matey!

Prof. Dean asked the question at the end of class of whether or not we, the students, liked and enjoyed the format of the class. I really enjoyed the class because it was interesting to hear what other people choose to teach about. I think when you get about 20 different people together in a class all with different interests and opinions, you will be able to find some pretty interesting topics to teach. I also enjoyed the class format because it brought a different aspect to class. I liked the role reversal. Now the students are the teachers.

I think a way to improve this class would maybe break in three groups. I only say that because I was interested to hear what other people choose to teach. I did think that it was good to pick one person from a group to explain to the whole class what they wanted to talk about.

As far as the group presentations and the five or six people who did speak about what the taught to their smaller group, I thought we heard some interesting presentations. I was very impressed with Yanina's presentation. I think the topic of e-waste is pretty unique. That would be a great topic for a final project because I feel like you could find a lot of interesting information on that topic. Also, I feel like not many people in the United States are aware of the importance of the topics surrounding e-waste, so it would be a great for a class like ours to learn more about it.

I thought Asa's presentation was creepy. I am starting to really think twice about the e-mails I am receiving. The most astonishing part of the fake e-mail was how simple it was to search for it on Google. I think Asa maybe choose the third option on the Google search engine page. That is nuts! I really don't think students should joke around with that fake e-mail possibility. You can cause some serious problems and probably get in a good amount of trouble.

Overall, I felt like there was a theme that was circulating around at the end class today. Suspicion. I felt like people were really taken back by Asa's presentation, especially Prof. Dean. His presentation developed a lot of questions and people seemed to be very suspicious of this fake e-mail application.

What did other people think of this. I felt like some people were trying to put their thoughts together but were just baffled by Asa's presentation.

Sam

2 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I agree. I definately liked the way the class was set up but I also would like smaller groups because I feel like alot of people has interesting stuff and we didn't get to hear everyone's topics.

I also thought it was hard to come up with something that most people would not know and would also find interesting. I still think Asa's presentation is creepy. He showed our group a couple weeks ago and I was really suprised. Personally I would not have shared that with the whole class. I think alot of bad stuff can come out of that but I think it can also be used for alot of hilarious purposes.

I thought alot of time and thought went into the powerpoint presentations. I didn't even think to do one and I love powerpoints.

I think it will was a great learning experience and I hope we do it again.


Becky

J said...

Would it make sense to something else like this in a few weeks? We could have larger groups. Another option could be only having a few people do it. I like, though, the idea that everyone comes prepared to teach something because I think we get a larger variety of neat things.