Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Class and Reading Thoughts

Class began today with Prof. Dean laying down the law. She explained final projects and our self/peer evaluations. I think it is pretty straightforward. I know our group has a fun project that we are working on. It involved making a video. Before we had a to make a video for class, we choose to make our final project a video. We had a positive experience from the film class that it only made us more confident to put together a great final video project.
I thought Prof. Dean’s lecture was interesting. She brought up many interesting points. …Wow the wind outside was ridiculous…sorry side note…It was nice to hear from Prof. Dean because I had some trouble comprehending the reading for class. I mean I grasped some of the bigger concepts, but I learn a lot better when someone (aka the teacher) can dissect the reading and explain some of the more confusing sections. Even thought the reading was not terribly long, it was full of interesting points. In regards to Prof. Dean’s chapter Communicative Capitalism there are a few points in the chapter that I disagree with and some I agreed with. One point is the idea about a circulating data stream. I agree that people have the chance to voice their opinion or express their beliefs on the web. The online world has allowed people to become more involved in politics. It is more convenient for many people. However I think that although people may be using the Internet more in terms of political reason, maybe some of the people are not giving a credible comment. Information from the Internet may be credible or not, and I think that it is very important that one knows where they get information from and who is giving them the information. Knowing the source of information is very important for me, especially for schoolwork. I am always careful and second-guess what I read for numerous reasons, which mainly originated in this class!
I am eager to see what people come to class on Thursday and teach. Last time we did this, I really enjoyed it. I think we have a great format set up for class and I cannot wait to see what people come up with. I this assignment will be successful again because there are no guidelines and the doors are open. You pick and choose what you want to teacher. Nice!

Sam

2 comments:

Tesekkür ederim said...

I agree it was nice to have the professor walk us through (in the rare occasion) her actual writing. It was very informative and parts that also tripped me up were explained in class. I liked that she was able to present a straight forward picture of the final and the paper. I hope you have a better understanding as the gardening example seemed to stick. I am also excited for the teaching day and can't way to see what people bring in.
Corey

Jen, the Cookie Empress said...

It was extremely windy. Oh so windy.

Second guessing were facts come from is always a good idea, especially when it comes to research papers. Certain sites such as ProQuest and JSTOR are viewed more credible than say Wikipedia. But is it possible to have something completely inaccurate on ProQuest (and go unnoticed)? Or what about having something entirely accurate in terms of an academic subject on the Wiki.

I agree with your perception for teaching days. Come up with something interesting so the whole class sees it.