Sunday, September 28, 2008

Class evaluation

I am a little late with commenting but just in case. I thought that the class of 9/25 was interesting. I liked it a lot more than the previous discussion. Maybe we were more used to they way it worked, or maybe we just were more played into each other but I thought it was less chaotic but still a discussion.

There were several things why this made a really good class to my opinion. The first one was that the course assessment was explained. Not only about the self assessment and the blogging but also about that our effort into the course is being watched and everything. (We're being monitored :P). Just knowing made me stress less and made me more comfortable to participate.

The second thing I really liked about class is that we first had a lecture, where we could ask questions or object if we wanted, and than had a debate. To me this felt like we actually learned stuff from the professor and in addition could argue about it. To me that is the PERFECT class. Because sometimes I feel like we did not learn anything. Sometimes I feel like we learned stuff that we already learned in the book. Sometimes I feel like the professor is all wrong and I want to comment. This class however, I did not feel any of these things but the opposite. Being able to interrupt the lecture from professor Dean also made it feel less like a lecture and more like the starting point of a discussion. This meant that I had more the feeling of listening actively just to catch the professor at something wrong.

In addition I want to evaluate the class of 9/23 as well. I though that the class was fine. We went into groups and we discussed the book. However, it felt a little repetitive because we already discussed the book in our own group for blogging the day before. Still I do like the format of coming together in small groups and afterwards writing on the board. The negative thing however is that I am scared that the things on the board are either wrong or not really the main points and it sometimes happens that we do not really discuss what the best points are.

By
Merel van Helden

No comments: