Thursday, September 18, 2008

Class was Crazy!

I thought today's class was very interesting. The class was a bit chaotic but overall, I thought the discussion was pretty productive. 

However, I am confused and a bit baffled. 

I think everyone has her or her own argument and there is not one central argument being produced amongst the class. That is great thought. That means the discussion will never end! So when everyone in class today had their change to speak, each person was arguing or discussing something different than the previous person. I am not saying that is bad, everyone needs to get their opinions out. On the flip side, it may make having a central discussion on a particular subject tough, or maybe tough is not the right word, overwhelming maybe. I only say that because sometimes I feel like there are five of six tiny arguments going on. 

Today, I found myself sitting back and taking the back seat and listening. I did that sort of on purpose. I felt like I sparked a discussion when I voiced my opinion to a classmate about what he is hiding on the internet.  So, I decided to sit back and hear what my classmates thought. I wanted to formulate my opinions before I spoke my mind. I figured I could come back to class the next time with some arguments drawn out.  I know some people may think: "Why did you not saying anything and want to wait?" Well, I think the reason why I didn't speak up was because I could have made a comment on what everyone had to say, whether I agreed or disagreed. However, it was tough to get my opinion out there when I had to wait to speak. If I wanted to comment on what a classmate said, I had to wait and by the time it was my turn to speak, I had so many other thoughts on my mind about what other people said, I was overwhelmed and couldn't put it all together. 

That may sound confusing, but I hope you know what I mean. 

I definitely understand the need for an organized list of people who wanted to speak, but I think it affected the flow of the discussion. However, after a person said something, I would have a comment and I would want to comment right away, but I would have to wait until after five other classmates spoke. 

I think as the class came to an end, one of the arguments that really came about was if the Internet should be a private or public space. I think that is a pretty good question that will lead to a interesting discussion. I think a lot of peoples opinions are centered on this core question. 

Also, I want to throw this out there. It is important to remember if someone does not agree with someone else, it is simply because that person see eye to eye with the other's opinion or point of view. That is great and will only help generate a great discussion. I want to make sure people in class realize that if I or another classmate disagree with you , it is simply because i disagree with your argument or opinion. I am not judging you as a person or attacking your personal opinions. I respect your opinion, view and argument and what your saying. I think its great that you think differently than I do. Just please remember that I am not saying you are a bad person. You are one of my classmates with a different opinion and that will only drive great class discussions!

Sam

2 comments:

J said...

Thanks, Sam. I was surprised that you didn't say anything. This helps me understand why.

What do you think of the following as a solution: we could use a chat feature where people can write what they are thinking and it will appear in the front of the class on the screen in real time (we won't have to do constant refresh). This way, folks can respond immediately. It could add to the chaotic feeling in that we would all be reading and listening, writing and talking nearly at the same time. On the other hand, that way people can respond to everything.

I realize that the list on the board gets annoying. I just don't know any other way to run a discussion with so many people. Suggestions here will also be much appreciated!

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

i think the idea of a chat feature with real time sounds fun but also effective.

-adrienne