Monday, September 15, 2008

reaction to thursday 9/11

okay so i can't edit the post before this one so ill try posting a new entry instead...

i like the way thursday's class went. I'd be fine with an "anything goes" type of policy. This is a learning experiment so why not get the most out of it? I do believe some discretion is necessary. I think in order for this experiment be effective we need to be honest with our peers when we comment on their blogs. With that said, I believe that as long as we attack the argument and not the person, then we should be set. As i sit here and blog and open up i realize that i might say somehting someone doesnt agree with, but as long as their comments aren't personal attacks on me, i'm pretty sure I am capable of handling whatever they have to say. I'm not too concerned about people posting offensive photos or crude stuff in general. The fact that we have to evaluate our peers and that our grades depend on our comments and other peoples comments, will hopefully act as a filter for what will be posted. If someone continually posts obscene or offensive material, I'm not going to continue reading their blog or commenting on it.


Isn't part of what we learn in class due to our discussions? And aren't these discussions made possible by the work we do outside of class? I have the expectations of my group to worry about. THe last thing I want to do is not be prepared for my group discussions because that will jsut hold our group back...and waste everyone's time. I am more motivated to get my work done and to not procrastinate when I work in a group because I do not want to let my group down. Plus, the better prepared I am for group discussions means the better our group meetings will go. If during our group meetings we have a lot of content to discuss, then come class time we are not only prepared for class, but we have an array of resources to discuss.

-Adrienne

2 comments:

BG said...

I am glad to hear that your group is working out well. I decided to form a group as well, but working a bit differently from your set up. We are using our group meetings as more of a discussion forum. When compiling your assignment posts, who takes the initiative? Is is a collaborative effort? Are all group members contributing thoughts?

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

The way we have our group set up is simple. When we have an assignment due on Monday night lets say, we will meet at a time when everyone is available. We have found a time on Monday morning that allows all of to be together, which is nice. If there is a lot of reading, we will break up the reading or if there is not an overwhelming amount of reading, everyone will read the assigned material. Each group member is responsible to show up having read the material and bring notes about the reading. That way, when we go around the group discussing the reading, everyone has something to say. Every member of the group has contributing thoughts and there is not just one person creating a post.Becky brings her computer to type of our response but other than that, it is a complete team effort!

Sam