Monday, September 15, 2008

The issues of privacy in this new technologically advanced world is something that strikes me as very important. Just the other day I received a call from my credit card company, asking me if i recently spent $2,000 at tiffany's.com. I absolutely was not, but it is scary that some people know how to use technology and access personal information so easily.
Although at the same time the technology that is being used that allows consumers to interact with company's without leaving their computer chair. Voting for the next flavor of toothpaste, or choosing the color and style of shoe that is your favorite is fantastic. The level of interaction that exists is remarkable, and most of it occurs without us as consumers knowing it.
Also what struck me as absurd, is this idea of "Second Life", where people participate in an online world, and in which they purchase digital goods, with hard currency. And figures point to upwards of $200 million spent in one year on digital goods, that cannot be used in real life. Similar to that is people who, on Facebook.com, purchase their friends gifts with real money. Why would you use real money to buy non-real things. That is pretty stupid.

P.S. (to my group)
Sorry i missed the meeting this morning guys. I hadn't done any of the readings yet, and would not have contributed at all to the group.
-James

No comments: