Tuesday, September 16, 2008

tuesday (9/16) reaction

I'm really pleased with the way today's class went. I liked how the structure of the class was switched up a bit. (the idea of ending with a lecture and starting with small group discussions). What we discussed as a class kind of lead us into the lecture...because our lecture was partially coming from our class wide discussion, I for one felt more engaged in the lecture. Typically during lectures, i do my learning by taking a backseat position (more listening, less talking) and take lots of notes. Today on the other hand, my learning was accomplished by more listening, more talking. THe class wide engagment within the lecture was beneficial for me. I was learning through what Professor Dean discussed and learning also through points my classmates discussed. There were a few points where it seemed like our classroom discussion would affect the direction of the lecture. I think this is a good thing.

I wish i had contributed more to my group discussion today...i did the readings. But like Sam, i found that i was less upfront about my ideas because I was working with a new group. I'm used to working with my blogging group, so today felt a bit uncomfortable. Next time we break off into small groups my goal is to get over the uncomfortableness.

I appreciate being told the upcoming schedule, and the readings in advance because it helps me to manage my time better...an essential skill. I'm looking forward to the presentations where were teach our classmates something. Im excited to read iSpy...i find these types of topics interesting and I'm happy we get to discuss them the way we can in class. It's great to hear differing opinions about something that affects us all. I can't wait for thursday's class so we can pick up where we left out...things were really heating up. Plus, as Sam said, I think the people that didn't speak up today come thursday are definitely going to want to speak up and I'm excited to hear what they have to say.

-adrienne

No comments: